Fraidy Cat Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

*Top Secret* Operation "Fluffy on a Diet"

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1*Top Secret* Operation "Fluffy on a Diet" Empty *Top Secret* Operation "Fluffy on a Diet" Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:24 am

Ed / Cassidy

If we do end up with Fluffy back I think I may have figured out a way to run one full bank of cylinder deactivation. The benifits would be two-fold.
#1. Improved fuel economy under yellow and cruising in/out of the pits
#2. Improved cooling (by reducing heat generation and pumping cool air through the deactivated cylinders) if the car starts to overheat.

We'd wire one bank with solenoid triggered dummy loads for the injectors and spark plugs and then a solenoid to send the firing bank's O2 signal to the ECU as the deactivated bank's O2 output.

Now we just need 265+ width tires, and awesome aero and we can compete in "A" class.

Eric

weight reduction, weight reduction, weight reduction

Straight pipe exhaust
manual transmission

Victory

Ed / Cassidy

I've been looking some more at the manual conversion and I *think* we can do it for $2,000 - $2,500.

We'd need:

A conversion bell-housing ~$550
A Tremec TKO pattern transmission (in this case an old busted-ass 5speed out of a mid 90's Mustang) $500-$1,000
Odds and ends ~$1,000 (clutch, resurfaced flywheel, hydraulic clutch actuator, new throwout bearing, flex plate etc.)

Going with the manual will save us some weight off the car and probably halve our drive-train losses (that alone will be worth 50hp and 75ftlb).

Hopefully the ECU won't miss the transmission.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum