Fraidy Cat Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

Planning Team To Do List

3 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:18 am

Alan

after digging a little deeper the midget might make the jag look like a great idea.

anyways it runs and revs right now, and even has a working alternator and water pump. However the clutch pedal went down and never cam back up.

If we do turbo it the carb will go before the turbo which makes tuning and plumbing much easier at the expense of low rpm drivability.

registering it would be a pita as it is out of state, no title, and would need smog. a better and probably cheaper option would be to pick up a 75 or earlier car.

77Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:39 am

Ed / Cassidy

What year is it?

78Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 am

Alan

79Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Ed / Cassidy

Maybe we could put together a list of the known faults with the MG.

80Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Alan

It is british

I think that should just about cover it.

fine.

roll cage will be tricky
clutch slave cylinder is seized (I think)
brakes don't work (no fluid)
gas tank is still full of old nasty fuel
brakes are tiny
Lucas
tach works at times
camber adjustments will require machining
something in the coolant has turned solid

before I make it look too bad I might well list what is right about it

one ton lighter that the jag at race weight
parts cars are rediculously cheap
we can de-lucas it
less power makes less heat
5' shoter and 2' narrower than the jag
we wont have to spend a stupid amount of money on fuel

81Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Alan

does anybody have a probelm with selling the rest of the door handles off of the jag

82Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Ed / Cassidy

You mean the ones that we use to open and close the doors?

Would make getting in and out a little difficult.

83Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:06 pm

Alan

yeah those ones, well just the ones on the outside. we would still have the ones on the inside so it would be the same as opening the passenger side door.

84Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:58 am

Ed / Cassidy

I guess that if you have an offer for good money for them then sell them.

85Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:11 am

Alan

$20 each

86Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Ed / Cassidy

This OMGuar guy on the Lemons forum is pretty excitable. It will be interesting to see if you can get a car to the track.

87Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I responded to that OMGaur guy's emails and he got back to me a few hours later.

Yeah, he's quite excitable and not the best at reading comprehension. Also his phone number puts him in Minnesota. I don't know what to say past that. I can post his emails here, but they read like his Lemons forum posts.

88Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Ed / Cassidy

Ok, so I have some updates.

I have a home for the MG for the winter.

I also have a theme idea for the MG.

XJ13. It would take some bodywork, but I think it would be epic.

89Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I've been working some the the technical hurdles of the Midget-to-XJ13 out in my head and think that I have some solutions.

First up, the Midget's windshield has to go. I suggest that we replace it with a motorcycle wind screen like some of the other teams have. This will give us a lot more freedom with our cage.

The best material to form the new body shapes will likely be fiberglass. Making a proper mold for it will be difficult, but I think that with some carving foam (or for less money, free, I can slowly acquire plastic foam from my work) we can make the initial positive shape.

I don't think that we will need to do any cutting on the front end. We can add the fiberglass shape to the existing front end and just blend it together. The existing headlight/wheel arch area can stay the same and at most we might flare the front fenders.

The back end is where things get tricky. Not only do we have to lengthen the rear end, but we also have to taper it in vertically from the side of the rear fenders. Sheet metal will have to be cut, tail lights moved and modified and a roll cage worked into the design.

I am a bit worried about where to locate the lap harness mounts as the drivers seat will be stuck right up against the rear bulkhead.

I feel that the decision to go with the XJ13 look would preclude the addition of a turbo. If we did use a turbo we would want to stick it up through the hood to keep it cool and it would ruin the sexy lines of the XJ13, not to mention give away that it is front engined.

90Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Alan

Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Untitl10

91Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I have some concerns. Mostly that the front and rear suspensions, fuel tank, engine, radiator and cage will extend beyond the main body lines of the Tumbler.

92Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Alan

to the untrained eye it might look that way.

but with some imagination put the gas tank where the transmission was, the a fwd engine and transmission where the passenger seat was and a four link where the rear suspension was, and there you have it. the roll cage would stick out a bit and I have no idea where the rear bars would go, but those are minor details.

and I suppose the radiator would need to go somewhere too.

93Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Ed / Cassidy

Put the radiator in the front wheels, the rear links in the tachometer and the cage will have to be a partial suppository. We will be true innovators!

94Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:04 pm

Alan

I think I sense a little sarcasm in that post.

95Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:41 am

Ed / Cassidy

I thought that your post about putting the fuel tank in the trans tunnel and the engine in the passenger seat was mild sarcasm as well. Or are you serious about tackling the fabrication necessary to pull that off?

96Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:51 am

Ed / Cassidy

Do you really prefer the Tumbler over the XJ13?

97Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 am

Alan

a little of both. Its probably not possible but we would be legends if we pulled it off.

as for the xj13 I don't think that the car has the right proportions to do it, and it would be a hell of a lot of work to make a small convertible look like an other small convertible.

98Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I guess that we should have a design meeting about it then. I will be in Sac this weekend. Also, the guy who will be storing the MG is ready anytime so we should probably start stripping it for the winter.

99Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty This weekend Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Eric

Working on the MG this Saturday... what time do you want to get started Alan? 9 or 10AM is fine with me. I would rather be done in the late afternoon rather than late in the evening since we have to be up early for the FFA challenge (featuring the M3) on Sunday.

100Planning Team To Do List - Page 4 Empty Re: Planning Team To Do List Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Ed / Cassidy

Looks like I will be able to help in the morning and have to duck out in the early afternoon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum