Fraidy Cat Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

Start of Lists

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Eric

Replacing the window before the cage goes in is probably a good idea, but not required.  See if you can get it replaced tomorrow.  Also, will we have side mirrors and other road legality items by Sunday and our drive across town?

Alan - I plan on dropping the parts off at your house early Saturday morning. Does that work for you? I have a CV half shaft, tie rods, and 4 brake rotors for you.

27Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 am

Eric

Let's talk this weekend.

1. Will the car be ready for pickup Saturday morning? - Alan
  2. Will we be able to work on the car in Antelope? - Cass
  3. Will the car have it's seat an harness installed so we can drive it to Antelope to work? - Alan
  4. Where will the car be parked on Sunday?  It cannot come back to El Sobrante.

To do list
  • CV Joint
  • Seal up sunroof
  • Fix windshield washer light
  • Permanent fix for heater hose
  • Inspect engine and transmission bushings
  • Seal firewall
  • Fuel filter
  • Strip wiring
  • Brake reservoir, fluid change (no new pads and rotors yet)

Other stuff
  • Is the registration and proof of insurance in the car? - Alan
  • Are the fuel filter and brake fluid in the car? - Alan
  • Do I need to bring Alan's welder for the sunroof and firewall work? - Cass

28Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Wed May 07, 2014 10:35 am

Ed / Cassidy

Eric wrote:Let's talk this weekend.

1. Will the car be ready for pickup Saturday morning? - Alan
  2. Will we be able to work on the car in Antelope? - Cass  Yes.  I spoke to my father and got approval to work on the car in front of the house and for the car to stay in front of the house for up to 5 days.  
  3. Will the car have it's seat an harness installed so we can drive it to Antelope to work? - Alan
  4. Where will the car be parked on Sunday?  It cannot come back to El Sobrante.  See above

To do list

• CV Joint
  • Seal up sunroof
  • Seal firewall
  • Fuel filter
  • Strip wiring

Other stuff

• Is the registration and proof of insurance in the car? - Alan
  • Are the fuel filter and brake fluid in the car? - Alan
  • Do I need to bring Alan's welder for the sunroof and firewall work? - Cass  I don't think we'll need either.  The sunroof patch panel will be Al so we can't weld it to the steel roof.  I say we just bond it in, same for the firewall holes.  I expect to have enough leftover Al to cover those as well.

Will we need any special tooling to do the work above? - Eric/Alan

Eric, you read my mind.  I was just preparing my own post about this.  Please see my comments above.

I am concerned about getting the car back to Alan's after the work weekend and his return.  It can't stay in front of my dad's house till the 16th.

29Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Wed May 07, 2014 10:47 am

Eric

I will be back in town next weekend for Kyle's graduation so I can help to move the Audi back to Alan's.  Alan, will you be back next weekend?  Cass, are you saying that the Audi can only stay in front of the house until the middle of next week?

I will leave the welder in El Sobrante until next weekend.
RTV silicon should be sufficient for the aluminum panels.  Caulking may work too if that can handle the temperature of the engine bay.

I will bring my normal selection of tools.  Specialty tools needed are...

• Impact gun and a selection of large sockets for the CV joint work - I will bring mine
  • Jack and stands - Are there some in Antelope?
  • Cutting tool for aluminum panels
  • Brake fluid

30Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Wed May 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Alan

Eric wrote:Let's talk this weekend.

1. Will the car be ready for pickup Saturday morning? - Alan I'll give them a call tomorrow but I have to imagine it will be
  2. Will we be able to work on the car in Antelope? - Cass
  3. Will the car have it's seat an harness installed so we can drive it to Antelope to work? - Alan Again I am assuming yes
  4. Where will the car be parked on Sunday?  It cannot come back to El Sobrante.

To do list

• CV Joint
  • Seal up sunroof
  • Seal firewall
  • Fuel filter
  • Strip wiring

Other stuff

• Is the registration and proof of insurance in the car? - Alan I'll drop the registration off with the car, proof of insurance is taped to the windshield
  • Are the fuel filter and brake fluid in the car? - Alan by the time you get there yes
  • Do I need to bring Alan's welder for the sunroof and firewall work? - Cass

I am planning on loading up my car with everything you might this weekend and dropping it off at evil genius with the car.

So far I have:
Brake rotors
Brake fluid
Seat cover
Kill switch
axle
triple square sockets
Impact wrench?
If needed I can toss in the jack and stands
anything else?

I have not heard from John but I will give him a call tomorrow. I guess they are further behind than I thought.

I would like to add securely mounting the battery and a new windshield to the to do list.

One issue we might run into is that one of the axle nuts is stripped, but i am not sure which side. If it is the side we need to change I recommend welding a cheap socket to it to remove it and picking up a replacement form the parts store/dealer.

as far as where to store the car after this weekend, if you can drop it off at my place on Sunday I will put it in the garage when I get back late that night. Otherwise I will see if I can find someone to give me a ride to pick it up.

31Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Thu May 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Ed / Cassidy

Alan and Eric,

This all sounds good.

Alan, if you like you can drop the car off in front of my parents' house. I'll text you the address. Also, someone should bring a low-profile jack.

Where do we want to mount the battery?

32Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Thu May 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Eric

Ed / Cassidy wrote:Alan and Eric,

Alan, if you like you can drop the car off in front of my parents' house.  I'll text you the address.  Also, someone should bring a low-profile jack.  

Where do we want to mount the battery?

How would Alan get back to his car/house if he drops off the Audi in Antelope?  I think the best option is for Marc to drop me off at Evil Genius Saturday morning and then we go to Antelope.
I asked Alan to throw his jack in the car.  Battery should go anywhere in the trunk that is convinient.  I would recommend the spare tire location if we could make that work.

33Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Thu May 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Ed / Cassidy

So far the best price I have seen for battery cable is $3.75 per foot.

34Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Sun May 11, 2014 7:29 am

Eric

I was looking for stainless steel lines and I can only find the fronts for $50 on Summit. As for the rears, what should we do? I see us having a few options...
1. Leave them
2. Replace them with stock rubber lines
3. Have custom steel ones made. I have emailed http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/custom-brake-lines-sacramento/ to see if this is something they can do for us. If they can, I will also see if they want to make them for a discount in order to get some sponsorship opportunity.

Alan, just so you are in the loop, the brake lines look scary. They are required to be replaced before the track day.

35Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Sun May 11, 2014 7:37 am

Eric

Ed / Cassidy wrote:So far the best price I have seen for battery cable is $3.75 per foot.  

According to the rule book,
"Batteries located in, or visible from, the passenger compartment must be sealed-type or contained in a sealed battery box. Whether enclosed in a box or not, batteries must not rock, shift, or feel loose--they should feel like a solid part of the car."

Battery relocation to behind the driver seat is probably going to be our best bet.  If we get a kit from summit, that will include 20feet of battery cable that we can use for the kill switch too.  Here is one I found on Summit for $100.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1199?seid=srese1&gclid=CM-PtZj-o74CFQmDfgodtk0ACg

Alan, is a "sealed box" recommended for lead acid batteries?

36Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 am

Ed / Cassidy

I think the $100 battery box kit is a good idea. The more I think about it the more I think we should bolt in it behind the driver. We also need to decide what secondary system we will use for the kill switch. Last time we cut the power to the coils, but I don't know if that will work as easily with the Audi coil-on-plug system. I also think the kill switch would be well located on the top of the trans tunnel behind the E-brake.

37Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Wed May 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Alan

I ordered the battery relocation kit, so it should be here Friday. The kill switch I bought is a four pole so we can wire the alternator separately which should kill everything.

38Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Wed May 14, 2014 1:26 pm

Eric

I plan on mounting the tires on the wheels that I have on Friday.  I will be attending my brother's graduation in Chico on Saturday but can wrench on Sunday.  I will then take the old rims and get two tires mounted on those.  I just contacted LPI regarding the brake pad status.

Alan, I will be bringing your welder into town as well.  I think everything else is with the car.

39Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Thu May 15, 2014 9:23 am

Ed / Cassidy

I'll be donating my modified ice chest, sump pump and home-made cool suite shirts for use on the Memorial Day track day.

Eric, can I drop these off with you on Friday for you to take into Sac?

I don't expect to be able to help with the car this weekend, but I may be by later on Sunday.

40Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 am

Eric

Cass, yes you can drop this stuff off if Alan wants to use them for the track day. I am suggesting that we leave it out since it will be 1 additional item to deal with. It's up to Alan though.

41Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Thu May 15, 2014 10:32 am

Alan

I have no plans of using it for the track day, I just want to have the cooler this weekend so we can figure out where we want to mount the cooler, battery and fire extinguisher. So really we just need it at some point this weekend for a quick mockup.

42Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Thu May 15, 2014 10:33 am

Eric

Alan wrote:I have no plans of using it for the track day, I just want to have the cooler this weekend so we can figure out where we want to mount the cooler, battery and fire extinguisher. So really we just need it at some point this weekend for a quick mockup.

Ok. Cass, bring it on over and I will take it up, given that I finish fixing my truck on Friday.

43Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Thu May 15, 2014 2:52 pm

Alan

Do we have a shop vacuum we can use this weekend?

44Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Thu May 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Eric

I have an old regular vacuum that I use to clean cars. I can throw it in the truck if needed.

45Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Fri May 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Alan

So things we need to do before the track day:
replace brake lines
bleed brakes
get a new windshield
replace tie rods
alignment
new seat mounts
buy and install roll bar padding
install new rotors
install new brake pads when they show up
clean up wiring
tech the car

am I missing anything?

46Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Fri May 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Eric

Alan wrote:So things we need to do before the track day:
replace brake lines
bleed brakes
get a new windshield
replace tie rods
alignment
new seat mounts
buy and install roll bar padding
install new rotors
install new brake pads when they show up
clean up wiring
tech the car

am I missing anything?

Battery and kill switch

47Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Fri May 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Alan

ah yes, although we don't need the kill switch for the track day

48Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Fri May 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Eric

Knock out as much as you can tomorrow. I will be bringing wheels, your welder, and a vacuum on Sunday.

49Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Sun May 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Eric

brake reservoir, lines and rotors installed, still waiting on pads
mounted new wheels and tires

While the race is still a ways out, we need to design and order shirts. Cass, do you have the mock up of the new shirt? I have a suggestion based on a lot of feed back, that we make the wheels look more like wheels and less like boobs. My vote is for the same green and the text to be "Fraidy Cat Racing; 24 Hours of Lemons" and leaving out the year.

50Start of Lists - Page 2 Empty Re: Start of Lists Tue May 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Alan

Updated to do list

Must do
Design and wire in kill switch
Seal up the sunroof
Design and improve the radiator mounting
purchase and mount fire extinguisher
Purchase and modify (5) 5 gallon fuel jugs
Modify Audi fueling system to improve fueling speed
Theme Car
Theme ourselves
Find a spot to mount the transponder
Gather misc. tools and resources for the race in June.
Repair or replace existing PS cooler
Fix the cooling system
Should probably do
Cool seat
Replace fuel filter(s)
If we have time
Design and improve the headlight mounting
Install Oil Cooler
Communication system. I'd be nice if Fraidy Cat had something that worked... for once.

Last edited by Alan on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:32 pm; edited 4 times in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next