Fraidy Cat Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prepping Arabella for Sale

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Prepping Arabella for Sale Empty Prepping Arabella for Sale Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Ed / Cassidy

We should try to have Arabella at 100% for when Christopher shows up on Saturday. (I don't know when he will be arriving)

The to do list is below:

Cassidy:
Clean up threads for exhaust manifold to turbo bolts
Remove broken turbo to cat stud
Install new turbo to cat stud

Details: Archie the Wonder turbo has a crack through the housing from the exhaust inlet to the exterior. It is somewhat minor and should not be a problem at least for us. The first 1/4" of thread on the inner of the three turbo bolt holes is pretty banged up. The lower threads are fine.

Eric:
Look pretty?

Details:

Alan:
Finish wiring the engine bay
Make sure we have gaskets for turbo-exhaust manifold, turbo-cat, cat-exhaust pipe, turbo oil return to engine oil pan (if required)
Purchase and install the connector needed to make the fan run.
Do a million other things that come with storing the race car.

Details:

Team:
Install turbo
Install heat shield
Fill with fluids
Run engine until turbo stops smoking
Pull all of the extras out of the car that are not to be sold with the car.

Rich should be good for us to pick up Fluffy August 15th or 16th. He will confirm this week.

2Prepping Arabella for Sale Empty Re: Prepping Arabella for Sale Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:03 am

Eric

Is it an option to weld the crack on the turbo on the exterior to give it a seal? Or will that cause more points of failure?

I will do my best to look pretty.

As for the parts, unload everything Audi related (even the bucket of bolts) and keep only the non-Audi parts (fuel jugs, cool seat...)

3Prepping Arabella for Sale Empty Re: Prepping Arabella for Sale Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:35 am

Ed / Cassidy

Eric wrote:Is it an option to weld the crack on the turbo on the exterior to give it a seal?  Or will that cause more points of failure?

Yeah, cast iron can be welded, but it is not a simple or easy procedure, it is well beyond my skill level and might not be recommended on a high heat flux part like the turbo. I don't know that the crack is large enough to cause a significant loss in boost.

Do we want to give the the tupperware that the spare parts are in as well?

This exhaust stud is giving me some trouble. I've used vise grips and welding a nut to it. I think today I'm breaking out the oxy/acetylene torch.

Worst case we just bolt it on with two nuts and disclose that it has an exhaust leak. The buyer works at a hydraulic shop, he has access to real tools.

4Prepping Arabella for Sale Empty Re: Prepping Arabella for Sale Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Alan

We also have the other turbo with the cracked housing

5Prepping Arabella for Sale Empty Re: Prepping Arabella for Sale Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Ed / Cassidy

A guy just posted on the LeMons forum asking about Arabella.  I guess mid-July is when people start looking at putting together teams.

Also, I made some headway at lunch today on the broken stud. Now the stud is broken off 1/8" below the surface.

6Prepping Arabella for Sale Empty Re: Prepping Arabella for Sale Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Eric

If there's lots of crap in the Tupperware, give it away too. They're not expensive. Has the ad been updated for price since it has a new engine?

7Prepping Arabella for Sale Empty Re: Prepping Arabella for Sale Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:57 am

Ed / Cassidy

Success! The turbo stud is out and I will be installing the new stud today.

The Ad was updated to list $3500 as the purchase price on Monday.

8Prepping Arabella for Sale Empty Re: Prepping Arabella for Sale Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Eric

That's great to hear! Install will be happening on Friday evening?

9Prepping Arabella for Sale Empty Re: Prepping Arabella for Sale Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:11 am

Ed / Cassidy

I plan on leaving work and proceeding directly to Alan's house/shop today.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]