Fraidy Cat Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sonoma - January 18-19

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty Sonoma - January 18-19 Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:17 am

Eric

Time to start planning for the next race.  Reply with additions to the list and I will update this post.

To Do
Pay race fees - Eric
Order new turbo (Do we want to get a big one and then a stock one as a backup?) - Alan
Order a boost controller - Alan
Order tires (to have on hand, but I do not anticipate needing to use them in January since we have 8 partial tires) - Eric
Order extra bolts/nuts for turbo and exhaust piping - Eric
Clean intake system
Inventory and ensure that we have replacement parts for all of the intake system in case we ruined something.
Think about a 2nd intercooler

Last edited by Eric on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

2Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty turbo options Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:56 pm

marc

here is a link to turbo upgrade write up.  http://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/1-8t-turbo-upgrade-information-93439/

If we are going to upgrade, it seems that we will need some sort of front mount intercooler too.  

Alan-what turbo upgrade were you thinking of?

3Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty Re: Sonoma - January 18-19 Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Alan

For the immediate future I am thinking we swap in a K03s (K03-029) turbo. it is the stock turbo on the 2001-2005 A4 and as far as I can tell it is a K04 compressor on a K03 turbine. It should be about the same price as a stock turbo and should get us ~10hp.
Marc could you see if the place we bought the engine from offers warranties on their turbos?

We have some options for when we want to add some real power.
I have, in my possession, a TD04H-13T (stock WRX turbo) with about 80k miles on it. WRX people are getting 240ish whp out of these.
I have, but not in my possession, a TD05-16G with about 5k miles on it. These seem to be good for about 300whp on a WRX.
If we want more there are plenty of turbos out there.

Any of the "big" turbo swaps will require:
A new manifold, I think it would be fun to make one, you might not agree.
A new downpipe
Some form of engine management
Larger injectors
While not require, an intercooler upgrade would be a good idea.

4Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty Re: Sonoma - January 18-19 Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 am

Ed / Cassidy

Eric wrote:Time to start planning for the next race.  Reply with additions to the list and I will update this post.

To Do
Pay race fees - Eric
Order new turbo (Do we want to get a big one and then a stock one as a backup?) - Alan
Order a boost controller - Alan
Order tires (to have on hand, but I do not anticipate needing to use them in January since we have 8 partial tires) - Eric
Order extra bolts/nuts for turbo and exhaust piping - Eric
Clean intake system
Inventory and ensure that we have replacement parts for all of the intake system in case we ruined something.
Think about a 2nd intercooler

Let's focus on getting the car cleaned up and an equivalent turbo bolted back on.  I don't think a 10hp increase is going to gain us much unless it is in the upper rev range.  I do like the turbo warranty if that is an option.  

Also, let's hold off on the outwardly visible engine mods for now. Once we start attaching custom intakes and front-mount intercoolers the judges are going to be up our asses.

It would also be good to have replacement intake parts in case we split something like we did at Thunderhill.

5Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty Re: Sonoma - January 18-19 Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:10 pm

Alan

Why wouldn't we add the 10hp? It is approximately free and doesn't add any work. Also it looks stock.

As far as the visible mods go, I think that is only going to help us. Nothing says reliability like a giant turbo and a homemade efi system.

6Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty Re: Sonoma - January 18-19 Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:27 am

Eric

I agree with Cass on getting replacements for all intake components. This could be a good use for the Audi forums to see if someone is parting out a car.

I agree with Alan on the K03-029 turbo if it will not require any other mods. Alan, let's order one of those and get the ball rolling. Once we have that turbo installed and it survives the January race, we can starting thinking about more power when we have more time between races. If we are running 16psi for the entirety of the next race and we 2 stop each day, we will be contenders.

7Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty Re: Sonoma - January 18-19 Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:30 pm

marc

Alan-the place I bought the engine was "Specialized German Recycling" in rancho. The turbos are warrantied for 30 days.

8Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty Re: Sonoma - January 18-19 Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:41 pm

Eric

From my understanding, we will be working on Saturday and hopefully get everything we want accomplished and not have to work on Sunday.
- Install new turbo with hardware we purchased during the last race.
- Clean intake system
- Inventory intake parts
- Order another set of turbo hardware and gaskets
- Decide on what spare intake components we need to order.
- Look over brakes, suspension... for issues

9Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty Re: Sonoma - January 18-19 Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I just got an email back from the Audi team that borrowed our turbo. The guys says he'll have a replacement (no indication of new or used) in the mail in a week or two.

I'll see if I can come by on Saturday. I imagine the goal is to drive the car back to Sac.

10Sonoma - January 18-19 Empty Re: Sonoma - January 18-19 Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:26 am

Eric

Ed / Cassidy wrote:I just got an email back from the Audi team that borrowed our turbo.  The guys says he'll have a replacement (no indication of new or used) in the mail in a week or two.  

I'll see if I can come by on Saturday.  I imagine the goal is to drive the car back to Sac.  

That is good news regarding the turbo.  I have my fingers crossed for a new one.  As for moving the car back to Sac, I do not know if Alan is ready for it.  In my mind, I was thinking tha twe would move it following the race (drive it to the race, and trailer it back to Alan's).

Alan, have you began preparing the garage for the Audi and your S54 swap?  When do you plan on being in Sac around the holidays so I can plan on helping you (if you need me)?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum