Fraidy Cat Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Million Dollar Jag

3 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1The Million Dollar Jag Empty The Million Dollar Jag Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Ed / Cassidy

We can rebuild it. We can make it better than it was before. Better, faster, stronger.

In all seriousness, let's get a good list going like we did last time so we can make the most efficient use of our time with the Jag.

TO DO LIST:

Repair damaged transmission hose. This looks like it will be easiest to do when we have the suspension apart. As it does not seem to be high pressure line we can just hose clamp it.

Brakes. It sounds like we will be replacing the front rotors and pads.
Flush brake fluid
Figure out a better front brake cooling system.
Change the oil
Flush the cooling system
Refill the trans fluid and evaluate the trans for damage.
Cut the remaining cats out of the exhaust system. With how far the cats go up into the engine we may have to weld a bit of pipe on ourselves so that the Davis exhaust shop guys can have something within reach to weld to.
Devise a better intake system. Route some conical filters.
Cut more holes in the hood.
Oil Cooler. This is probably going to require fitting one of those remote filter adapters to the car and then we can put the cooler and filter wherever we want.
Suspension rebuild. Particularly bushings. More to do here then I care to list
Cut the springs. Both front and back. We will want to take our time here as I imagine that replacement Jag springs are expensive. Also let's see if we can wedge something into some of the lower coils to effectively stiffen up the springs as well.
Shock rebuilding. Let's see if this is possible with the shocks on the car.

Transmission 3rd member bushing. It is gone, we should get a replacement.
I imagine that we will have to remount a tire or two depending on the dominate turning direction of the track that we choose to race on.
It would be nice to eliminate the compressor from the top of the engine. Let's see if we can design a bracket that would make this possible. I can probably make it at my work if we can get a good design.
Fuel system mods. Fuel in the trunk = bad. I don't think that this will require much more than some silicon sealer, rubber tubing and a drill bit.
Seat and Harness mounts for the passenger side as well. This will likely require a revised fire extinguisher mount.
Decide on and then source an upgraded fuel table layout to eliminate the partial throttle lean conditions.
Throughout the build, look for where we can lose weight.

And of course if we want to look good during pitting we should practice. We can make this fun for the neighbors by drilling in full kit (or at least helmets). Driver change, refueling, black flag, etc.

Look this over and make suggestions of things to add in the comments. I will add them to this post. Also, expand on items where you can.

Last edited by Ed / Cassidy on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:49 am; edited 4 times in total

2The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Eric

That is definitely an extensive list. I will do my best to cut down this list, but not this weekend since I need to study all weekend long for midterms on Monday. As for an update on the parts. No auto yard has called me back interested in anything, and I just reposted the free ads on Craigslist.

3The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Alan

five months and five days to build two race cars and less than two months after that to get them ready for a 24 hour race. I think it is time to get on it, not that we haven't been, but... well I am just excited that the schedule is out.

4The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Ed / Cassidy

Ok, this list is looking a little formidable so let's break it up into action items.

1. Make a list of suspension bushings that will be needed. This includes the front and rear suspensions. Then source said bushings and begin suspension tear-down. While the suspension is apart we will also want to install and route a remote oil filter/cooler, cut out the old cats and repair the trans coolant line. After putting the suspension mostly back together, we will need to cut the springs front and rear. This would also be a good time to decide on new engine programming.

2. Flush all the fluids in the car, do brake upgrades/repairs, apply new engine programming, resolve distributor issues, and eliminate the AC compressor.

3. Add cooling vents to the hood, design a new intake system, modify the fuel filler system, gut passenger side thermostat, finish up the new exhaust system, install new trans bushing, eliminate unneeded wiring from car.

4. (possibly even after we finish the MG) Install passenger seat mounts and harness mounts, remount tires as needed, retheme.

I expect that the suspension rebuild could take up to a month, so we want to get started on that.

5The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Eric

So, I just wanted to let you guys know that I am so glad that I got a job with Chevron in the bay area because this will ensure that our Lemons attempts will certainly continue. I was nervous that I was going to be moving out of state and therefore would end my lemons attempts with Fraidy Cat. I am also glad that beginning next summer all three of us will be employed and will have the funds to continue our work.

That being said, did you guys get any work done on Sunday? I should have some free time in the coming weekends to work on the Jag (not including Finals studying), but I understand that we may want to wait until Alan moves. Alan, I also plan on helping you clean your garage up and move everything since I did help contribute to the mess. Just let me know when. I can't get wait to get my hands dirty again and am looking forward to our next race.

6The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:16 pm

Alan

We didn't get much done besides determining that the subframe has to come out to get the shocks and springs out.

I am just waiting on my future roommates to get the new place, at the latest it would be in about a month. I think we should spend the next few weeks getting everything together so we will be ready when we find a place to work.

As for this weekend I am thinking about heading out to Oakland for the autocross

7The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 am

Eric

Getting everything together and prepped sounds good to me. There's an autoX in oakland this weekend? I know there was one last weekend too. I wish I could go, but I have to be stuck studying all weekend for midterms.

8The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Alan

so for the bushings we have a few options.
Stock replacement
custom machined whatever we can find for free or cheap
or the lemons worthy welding spacers plates and washers to the sock mounts until they are solid

right now I am leaning to the stock replacement bushings just to get it done since they aren't all that expensive. Let me know what you guys think.

Hopefully I will have a new place by next weekend, but we'll see how that goes.

and once again there is an autocross in Oakland next weekend

9The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Alan

also registration for sears point ends January 15th

which brings me to my next question. What cars do we race at what races.

10The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I could be there for the Autocross. I will be staying in town (Oakland) this weekend anyway. I can't guarantee that I will run, but I can that I will be there.

Bushings: Buy replacements. Let's get a price quote first, but I think that factory replacements with maybe a few custom-made stiff ones where they count would be a good, safe way to go.

Race registration: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think we will be running the MG the first half of 2011. If we have to be registered by the 15th we are better off working on a car that is 85% ready as opposed to -50% ready. Eventually, if the MG proves to be reliable, I could see it becoming the main Lemons car due to it's simplicity and low running costs.

Comments?

11The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:50 am

Alan

That sounds about right, but I think we need to plan on having the midget ready for the reno race if we are going to run it, since registration is a few days before sears point and I am not ready to put my share of over a grand on the jag being alive after the race.

12The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:56 am

Ed / Cassidy

So you're saying that you don't think the Jag will survive another race? While I think that is understandable, this may be something that we want to have a team meeting over.

This shit is complicated. Why can't they announce which races will be 24 hours already?

13The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Alan

I am not saying it wont, just that I wouldn't put much on on it finishing 3 races. However it is probably time for a team meeting to get everything figured out

14The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:47 am

Ed / Cassidy

I won't be in town this weekend, but I will be around the weekend of the 10th. Also, my work announced that they are shutting the plant down between the 17th and January 3rd. I will be out of town from the 23rd to the 28th, but otherwise I will be available to work or plan on the Jag.

15The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:37 am

Ed / Cassidy

I have two theme ideas to propose.

Mystery Science Theater 3000. With Crow and TomServo being metal cutouts in the back window and many satirical remarks about the car, painted on the car.

The other suggestion would be a Cool Runnings theme. If it hasn't been done before.

16The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Alan

I like the mystery science theater idea

I however I do not like the idea of pushing the jag in spandex

17The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 am

Ed / Cassidy

You could go as John Candy.

18The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Ed / Cassidy

So are we meeting this weekend?

19The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Alan

We probably should. I don't have any plans other than finding a house.

20The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:49 am

Ed / Cassidy

I may have some plans on Saturday, I will figure out my availability tonight.

21The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I have another theme idea. It is a bit out there but hear me out.

A Lady Gaga theme. It would require all of us to dress up in different Gaga outfits, but the one we would save for the car would be the meat dress. We would cover the car in meat. Deli slices would probably be easiest, but some bacon and smoked meats would be nice too.

22The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Alan

ahahaha

It would be handy when you are out on track and feel like making a sandwich.

23The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I got approval from Jay for the meat car. He was initially concerned about how big the meat would be, but feels that deli slices shouldn't cause too much of a road hazard out on the track.

24The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Alan

sorry about the lack of updates, but anyways I plan on moving the jag over saturday morning.

The Million Dollar Jag P1000010

25The Million Dollar Jag Empty Re: The Million Dollar Jag Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 am

Ed / Cassidy

I don't think you understand how difficult it has been for me to not hound you constantly about the house. It is nothing personal, just rather the family that I grew up with.

I am happy to see that you have moved in. If you want help with the Jag let me know. As of this moment I am not planning on coming into town this weekend, but will if the Jag needs me. Also, I can't wait to spill some trans fluid on the nice, clean floor.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum