Fraidy Cat Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sonoma February 13-14

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:15 pm

Eric

I do not heard from the first driver again, nor have I received payment from him.

Work day this weekend? Saturday? The Packers game is on at 5:15pm.

We have a lot of things to do still.

52Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:22 pm

Eric

What am I missing?

To Do List
Engine Mounts
Press out subframe mounts and install new ones
Strut upper bushings - I found them for $50, do we want them?
Remount tires on appropriate wheels and order alternative tires if needed
Reassemble Intake manifold, connect hoses, fuel rail - We are not missing any parts for these, correct?
Install radiator, thermostat, and fan
Power steering oil filter change
Engine oil filter change
Clean air filters
Install new lower radiator hose shield

I will try to knock out a few things this week. I should have a couple evenings free.

53Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 am

Mike

Let me know what nights you are working and if you need a hand.

54Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:50 am

Eric

Mike wrote:Let me know what nights you are working and if you need a hand.

I am shooting for Thursday night. I get home from work around 5:30.

Also, I didn't realize that you had to put your dog in day care last weekend. Feel free to bring him/her any time we work on the Jag.

55Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:52 am

Mike

Good deal, let me know you want a hand.

I appreciate the concern but we have monthly day-care and he goes more for his fun than my convenience, but thank you, I might bring him along sometime.

56Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:17 am

Eric

Gameplan for this weekend?

I will not be available on Saturday, but I will be around on Sunday and I can leave the house unlocked on Saturday.

What is the status on the engine mounts? That appears to be the limiting factor on work.

To Do List
Engine Mounts
Strut upper bushings
Install radiator, thermostat, and fan
Power steering oil filter change
Engine oil filter change
Clean air filters
Install new lower radiator hose shield

57Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:00 am

Mike

Have we narrowed down plans?

58Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:02 am

Eric

Sunday workday. Engine mount install is the main goal.

59Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:11 am

Mike

Are they finished!?

60Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:13 am

Eric

Some assembly required but all the parts should be done.

61Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:48 am

Eric

UPDATE

Mike and I worked yesterday and did a few things. Most importantly, it looks like the engine mounts are going to work once Cass cuts new top pieces to be a 1/4" smaller in diameter. I will pick up these pieces from Cass on Friday and then install what I can (since it is my day off). We should get started as early as we can on Saturday in order to accomplish as much as we can that day. I am hosting a Super Bowl party on Sunday which you all are welcome to attend. But we need to have the Jag done first.

To Do
- Cut new top plates of engine mounts (Cass)
- Install Engine mounts on Friday (Eric)
- Install upper strut bushings
- Install ball joints
- Reattach engine to subframe
- Reattach subframe to car
- Install new passenger fender
- Install radiator & new fan with new hoses
- Reposition transmission cooler
- Finish reattaching ignition system
- Oil change
- Fill with water

62Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I won't be able to make it on Saturday, but I can do finish work on Sunday after about noon.

The engine mount "caps" should be re-cut by the end of the day Wednesday.

Also, I asked Rich about the fuel pumps and got the following response.

"
I used the OEM type pumps that I believe were made by Walbro. I think the old pumps are in the spare parts box. I just googled the part number and found that the pumps themselves were pretty common. I don’t believe there was anything wrong with them, the problem was more likely in the 1 way check valves. There’s a canister that contains both pumps that also acts as a swirl pot. It traps fuel in and that’s where the pumps draw their fuel so you can get pretty much every last drop of fuel out of the car. But when it’s out, it’s out, swerving back and forth isn’t gonna splash more fuel into the pickup. Built into the canister are one way valves to keep the pumps from pressurizing each other. Those valves built into the canister have failed. Jag only sells the whole unit including pumps, not individual pieces and it’s 8 or $900. On the outside of the canister I installed one way valves they use in diesel/veggie oil conversions. Those things start up on diesel because the veggie oil congeals in the fuel lines and has to be heated before it flows and once warm they switch to veggie oil. These are what I used. Seems like they can be taken apart.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-10mm-3-8-Fuel-Non-Return-One-Way-Check-Valve-Petrol-Diesel-Diesel-Water-Alu-/272062611632?hash=item3f583200b0:g:-HYAAOSwNphWXZi~&vxp=mtr
You get to them through the top of the tank. There’s a couple of fuel lines on the bottom of the car by the differential. Seems like there was some sort of slide clip that held them in. I can’t remember. Not that hard to get to. It helps if you remove a wheel and someone shines a light in there as you work. 2 straps hold the tank in and you can disconnect the wires once you slide the tank out. I used the fuel pumps to pump the fuel out into fuel jugs by attaching a hose underneath the car ahead of the LR wheel where you guys had cut the fuel line to attach that other pump. Tank is awkward with fuel in it. Gas weighs about 6lb a gallon. Once it’s out, there is a locking ring that you hammer counterclockwise, moving around to different parts of the circle as you go. Then it’s a matter of acting like a proctologist reaching in to work on the lower bowel.

I figured the motor mounts were bad/going bad as the radiator shroud no longer fit because the fan hit the bottom of the shroud. Never looked as the subframe mounts."

63Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Eric

UPDATE

Engine is mounted to subframe, which is mounted to the car.  Let's start relatively early tomorrow so we can have Sunday available for only a little work and Super Bowl partying.

To Do
- Install upper strut bushings (Alan)
- Install ball joints
- Install radiator, hoses, and fan
- Reposition transmission cooler
- Finish missing throttle plate pieces
- Check hoses and cap connections
- Oil change
- Fill with water
- Run
- Make plan for next weekend

Alan, be sure to bring the oil filter and strut bushings.

64Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Eric

Starting at 9:30AM tomorrow in hopes of being done by the Super Bowl.

To Do
- Install ball joints
- Wire up fan
- Finish missing throttle plate pieces
- Run
- Figure out exhaust

65Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:12 am

Eric

To Do
- Figure out exhaust
- I will take the car to the muffler shop tomorrow.
- I will camp out a spot on Thursday night.
- I will go pick up Jon Ma's trailer on Friday morning and be back at my house around noon.
- I will need someone there around noon to help load the Jag on the trailer.

66Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:03 am

Ed / Cassidy

- Fix MASSIVE fuel leak from the front of the passenger side fuel rail.
(just turn on the kill switch if you are unsure where it is located)

67Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:17 am

Eric

Ed / Cassidy wrote:- Fix MASSIVE fuel leak from the front of the passenger side fuel rail.  
(just turn on the kill switch if you are unsure where it is located)  

The only O-rings I have are ones from the multipack that we already used to replace it. Should I try another one of those?

68Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:14 pm

Alan

It is worth a shot. Check for damage and get measurements while you are in there.

69Sonoma February 13-14 - Page 3 Empty Re: Sonoma February 13-14 Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:21 am

Eric

Video from Sunday morning Bonzai run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U96mgiUXFyE

FraidyCatRacing Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/FraidyCatRacing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum