Fraidy Cat Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free Engine Work

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Free Engine Work Empty Free Engine Work Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:17 am

Ed / Cassidy

This past Saturday 7/19 I was assisting my friend Kevin expand a gravel driveway for a guy in Rio Linda. I spent about three and a half hours working for this guy for free mostly because I got to fulfill a childhood dream of mine and drive a Bobcat mini bulldozer.

In the course of talking to the home owner he tells me that he used to build race engines. He told me that he has built engines for both NHRA and NASCAR. He claims that he's build engines that went down the 1/4 mile in ~3 seconds and all manner of other things. He also said that he really enjoys and misses building engines and porting and polishing engine heads. Since I helped him with the driveway he would be willing to do some engine work for us for free. In particular he offered to do a high-end port and polish on the head. His estimate was that with a port and polish and a little grinding on the head and block mating surfaces, we could see around 250hp on 18psi.

There is one possible down-side. It sounds like he does not have any of the tools needed to do this work. We might have to provide him with what he needs as well as a place to work.

P.S. before you all get too excited about laying four strip of rubber down the front straight, I'd prefer to dial the boost down and keep about 50hp in reserve should we need it near the end of the second day to over take the class leader (and not arouse suspicion of our super-fast Audi).

2Free Engine Work Empty Re: Free Engine Work Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Eric

I fully support a port and polish should the tools become available. I don't know how I feel about buying the tools for him to do it though because then what do we do with them? We have a head that is useless to us (bent valves) sitting in my garage that he can definitely mess around with.

3Free Engine Work Empty Re: Free Engine Work Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:58 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I researched the port and polish further and I think there is very little power to be gained there. From what I read we would be better served by camshaft and turbo upgrades.

He may still have friends or old work acquaintances that have the tools needed. I'll try to get him to self-source what is needed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum