Fraidy Cat Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

Next work day

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Next work day Empty Next work day Fri May 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Eric

When can we find a day for all 3 of us to work on the car for a day? I have finals that are over on the 11th, so after that I am pretty much free all of the time until June 28th when I work 8-4 at my internship in South Sac. Even then, I will be able to work on the Jag after work and on weekends.

Also, what is next on our list of things to do?
Install power steering line & test
Weight reduction
Cooling issues
air intakes
brake cooling
Team name and car theming
Getting a "for sure" from our other members (I'm working on it)

2Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Fri May 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I will be in town the first weekend in June. The same weekend that our application is due. We will also need a team name and website by June 5th.

Also since we lost our trailer we will need to use Alan's or find some semi-legal option.

Right now I am most concerned about those two davis guys.

3Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Sat May 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Alan

I am free until I find a job.
The trailer is available, we just need a way to pick it up and somewhere to keep it. as for the semi legal options I am looking into what it would cost to insure it so it would only be a $140 or so ticket if we got caught driving it.
I'll get the ps hose installed and tested in the next day or two.
I think this should be fine for our website but if not I can throw one together.

anyways are we going to try to make it to the autocross on the 5th or 6th?

4Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Sun May 30, 2010 9:59 pm

Ed / Cassidy

As tricky as it will be to get the car to the autocross this coming weekend I think it would be in our best interests. Please let us know how the new hose holds up.

I will email Jay to see if this forum will suffice for a website. If I don't hear back by Wednesday I say we throw one together.

The Jag would be much easier to sneak around of the street if it still had its mufflers. However, it would be cool if we could limit its illegality on the street.

5Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Mon May 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I heard back from Jay. The website thing is optional and this forum will suffice.

Where is the trailer? Is it relatively nearby or is it far enough that we'd need to find it a temporary new home?

I maybe, maybe have a place we can keep it.

6Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Mon May 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Alan

the trailer is in Alamo which is about a hour and a half away.

7Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Mon May 31, 2010 11:17 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I will look into my place to keep it. How big is it in relation to the other trailer that we were using? Also, should we target Saturday or Sunday for the autocross?

8Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:03 am

Alan

I think it is a 16ft trailer, pretty much the same as the other one.
either day works for me

9Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:52 am

Ed / Cassidy

The car is 196in long. That's 16.3ft. Do you think that we will be able to properly strap the Jag down to the trailer? Also, is it a double axle?

10Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Alan

shouldn't be a problem and it is a tandem axle trailer.

11Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Ed / Cassidy

I just had a thought. Does anybody have a AAA plus membership? I think that you get 100 mile tows for free. I have the standard membership and I only get 5 miles. It is around 16 miles from Alan's house to the section of Mather where they hold the autocrosses. We could just have the Jag towed there and back. Even if we pay the additional 11 miles of towing each way it would still likely be cheaper than driving to Alamo to pick up Alan's trailer.

12Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:14 am

Eric

I only have the basic membership. For this weekend, since we are only going a few miles, I am sure that it will be cheaper to pay AAA for the additional distance. We can also try to get the full distance out of them by using Cass's 5 free miles and then using my 5 free miles. Then, doing the same thing to come back home.

13Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 am

Eric

As of right now, Sunday is better, but my study groups are talking of moving our days to Friday. If so, then Saturday would probably be better for all of us (since Cass has to drive back to Alameda). I will keep you posted.

14Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:43 am

Ed / Cassidy

I think that to it won't make sense for us to use our 5 mile tows on the same leg of the drive to Mather. At the end of my 5 miles we'd have to unload the Jag and then wait up to an hour for a second tow truck to arrive. We could use that technique to get there, but it could take several hours. We need to find out what the cost per mile is after the first 5 miles.

And I am up for doing it on Saturday.

15Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:15 am

Eric

I figured that Saturday would be best. I am going to persuade my study groups as best I can. I checked out Yahoo answers and the consensus is around $3/mile. If one of us were to upgrade to the AAA Plus for $27, then we would get 100 miles of towing. After one trip to Mather, that would be worth it.

16Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Alan

I think I will just drive it.
It is going to cost $24 a month to insure it and trips wont take an extra two hours.

If you guys don't mind I would like to take the sunroof out for extra headroom. It looks like it will just be 4 bolts to put it back in.

I also plan on doing the brakes and the battery needs to be tied down.

17Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:11 pm

Ed / Cassidy

With the battery being as useless as it currently is I was wondering if we could just take it out and jump start the car straight through the battery cables. If you feel that we really need a battery I can pull the one from my Mustang. Do you know if a trucker strap will be a suitable way to secure the battery to its stand?

Feel free to pull the sunroof. Losing it won't bother me.

I was looking into the DMV's "One Day Moving Permit". Some info can be found here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch25_Permits_and_Decals.pdf
If that doesn't tickle your fancy I can just follow closely to cover your rear plates. Ask Eric about the time we did that with his Cabriolet.

Do you know what autocross class we will fit in? I can bring whatever additional tools and materials that you think we will need. I won't be coming into town until tomorrow night and I have a pretty full schedule for that night (including turning up with Eric at the Davis Motorsports Club to try and drum up some dedicated teammates) however much of the rest of my weekend is open so let me know what I can help out with.

18Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Alan

The battery is fine there is just something in the car that is draining it.

The chase vehicle has worked well so far, so why stop now?

It looks like we will be in street modified or street modified/street tire. We could put the back seats in to get in to a more reasonable class, not that we would be competitive anyways.

19Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Ed / Cassidy

Leave the seats out. I was wondering so that we would know what time we need to be there.

20Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Eric

Driving with a chase vehicle I am fine with, but then again the lack of mufflers might attract attention. How populated (with cops and civilians) are the roads between Alan's house and Mather? I don't want a massive ticket to go with our Lemon's car so early in the game. The AAA plus membership for $27 might be the best idea if we call for the tow early enough. Usually AAA contractors are fairly quick. And plus, then we won't have to waste gas to get to and from the track.

The lack of sunroof and back seat are both fine with me. If there are any tools that I should bring, let me know, and I will bring what I have.

21Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:53 pm

Ed / Cassidy

AAA Plus membership does not kick in until 48 hours after it is activated. I believe that the fine for driving the car in it's current state is around $150. We will have to drive it through some neighborhoods to get it to the freeway and maybe a business district to get to from the freeway to Mather, but I don't recall either of those areas being police intensive. Just stay off of Folsom Blvd. I have driven a vehicle with open headers about 5 miles before as as long as you are traveling at a steady speed it is pretty quite. The noise is only really when the engine is under load.

While the amount of noise that the car makes currently could arouse suspicion, I don't believe that it is at illegal levels.

22Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:50 pm

Eric

Ok. It sounds like we are driving. When and where do I need to be on Saturday morning?

23Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Alan

If we want to run in the early run group we should get there at about 7:15.

I can either meet you there or we could meet at my house.

24Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Eric

I am down for the early group. If we are going to cover the Jag's ass during the drive, we should meet at your house. What time?

Cass -
Can you be up this early after your Friday night festivities that I'm sure you have planned?

25Next work day Empty Re: Next work day Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Alan

I guess 6:50

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum